Saturday, January 1, 2011

Meeting Mr. Hurricane (story #1)

I sit here at 51(61 now) years of age thinking; what was the first thought I remember? It was almost my birthday, early July. I was 4 or 5 and my mother and father were talking about their day and I was eavesdropping, hoping they would reveal my birthday present. The phone rang and my mother answered and yelled to my dad to turn on the news. It was a hurricane!? I didn't know what that was but everyone was very excited about it. My mom said it would be here around noon today. I can remember thinking that this must be something great because everyone in the house was exited and was moving around gathering things, putting things in boxes and bags and suitcases. I got so excited too! Every time my grandma and grandpa or family coming to visit, they Always brought gifts! I wanted to see Mr. Hurricane before anyone else cause it was My Birthday and I just knew he had a wonderful gift for me! We didn't have much money with Dad in the Navy and 6 snotty nosed kids, the income only went so far. It was my turn to get a super present. So about 11 o'clock or so I went outside to meet Mr. Hurricane hoping that he was bringing me something for my birthday. Why else would everyone be so excited? Outside it was very windy and a little rainy. I didn't see anyone around, no cars going bye, no kids playing? But I heard what sounded like the pounding of drums down the road toward the beach. Boom Boom Boom! A parade? For me? We lived in Mayport, FL and my father was in the Navy.  Mr. Hurricane must be down at the beach, so off I went to greet him. Palm fronds were sailing past me and sand was stinging my ankles. In my haste to get my prize I did not put socks on, only my old Converse tennis shoes. The drums got louder, Boom Boom! and I could see the waves another block away and the wind and rain was getting very strong but still no Mr. Hurricane. Where is he? Where is everyone? For such a glorious occasion? I went closer to the beach and I could see now that the waves were making the noise. There was water on both sides of the road and the wind was so strong. Still no Mr. Hurricane but I knew I would find him up near the seawall with everyone celebrating my big day. BOOM BOOM! The sound of the drums was deafening. I walked the last 1/4 block to the edge of the wall and looked over. The beach where I played everyday was gone. I could only see water. Sea spray hit my face and burned my eyes. Wave after wave smashed the wall on either side of me. I remember the water shooting up in the air like a backward waterfall then stop and fall crashing all around me. I looked up and down the shoreline. Still no sign of Mr. Hurricane. I did see that much of the concrete seawall was missing up and down the coastline and some houses were getting hit by the waves. I was so disappointed by now. I walked the 4 or so blocks home. I went in the back door and up to my room. Just then my mother called all of us to get out to the car. Dad yelled, "We gotta go now!" We all got in the car and drove to a shelter. I never told my parents about that day. Many years later I realized how easily I could have been swept away. Someone must of had other plans for me?
This was only my first memory of cheating death.

1 comment:

  1. Aww thanks! I am completely agree with you, I am an amazing fan of your site,

    genuine guard post Keep making such stunning post,


    Thanks for sharing.



    Pest Control in Jaipur



    Regards

    Sameer

    ReplyDelete